Terrific Tiramisu Cake
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
⅔ cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
6 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and beat well.
- Stir together milk and 2/3 cup water Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Be careful not to overbeat. Stir in vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, and fold into batter. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, prepare Coffee Syrup.
- Prepare Mascarpone Frosting. Pierce cake layers with a wooden pick, making holes 1 inch apart. Brush or spoon Coffee Syrup over layers.
- Place 1 cake layer, brushed side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread top with Mascarpone Frosting. Top with second cake layer, brushed side up, and spread the top and sides of the cake with Mascarpone Frosting. Chill 4 hours before serving.
½ cup sugar
⅔ cup strong brewed coffee
¼ cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
Combine sugar and ⅓ cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 1 ½ minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in coffee and Kahlua. Let cool for 1 hour.
1 (8-oz.) package mascarpone cheese
1 ½ cups heavy cream
½ tbsp.. vanilla extract
⅓ cup plus 3 tbsp. sugar
- Stir mascarpone cheese in a large bowl just until blended and there are no lumps.
- Beat cream and vanilla at low speed with an electric mixer until foamy; increase speed to medium-high and add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat or cream will become grainy. Gently fold mascarpone cheese into whipped cream mixture. Use immediately.